Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the European Language Industry Association (ELIA)?
- What is the legal status of ELIA?
- What is the difference between ELIA and my National Association of Translation Companies and/or the EUATC?
- What is the European Union of Associations of Translation Companies (EUATC)?
- If my company is a member of my National Association, can it also join ELIA?
- If my company is located in a non-European country, can it join ELIA?
- What is a translation company according to ELIA's definition?
- What are the different types of membership?
- Can individuals join ELIA?
- How much does membership cost?
- Will my company receive an invoice when it joins?
- What do I have to do to renew ELIA membership?
- If my company joins part way through the membership year, will we have to pay the full annual fee?
- Is ELIA VAT-registered?
is the European Language Industry Association (ELIA)?
ELIA is the first pan-European company-to-company association in the language industry. We are an umbrella professional organization for translation interpreting and localization companies across Europe and beyond and aims to establish relationships with companies and related organizations from other parts of the world. ELIA is committed to representing the best interests of its member companies in the European marketplace.
is the difference between ELIA and my National Association of
Translation Companies and/or the EUATC?
ELIA is the first and so far the only European association that brings together translation companies from all over Europe and neighbouring countries, giving them an opportunity to communicate with each other directly rather than through a national association.
is the European Union of Associations of Translation Companies
The purpose of the EUATC is to unite the Associations of Translation Companies and to promote interaction and co-operation between these Associations, as well as protecting and encouraging the promotion of the translation and interpreting industry in all countries. It was established in 1994 and its members are national associations of translation companies. Taken from the EUATC website.
- Full Member. A Full Member shall meet all membership criteria, including quality guidelines. Full Members must be actively involved in the sale, marketing and provision of language services. They shall have full voting rights, the right to appoint representatives to serve on committees and as officers and directors of the Association, and such other benefits as may be established by the Board of Directors.
- Associate Members. Associate Members shall be Members who do not have an active role in providing language services and or who serve as vendors to language service companies and who wish to support the activities and objectives of the Association. Associate Members may include educational institutions and professional organizations with an interest in the field of translation and/or interpreting. They shall have no voting privileges but shall have such rights and benefits as may be established from time to time by the Board of Directors.
individuals join ELIA?
No. ELIA membership is open only to companies providing translation, localization, internationalization, or globalization products or services, including tools developers, training suppliers, and consultancies.
does membership cost?
The annual membership dues for Full Members are 350 euros and for Associate Members, 500 euros. We make every effort to keep these dues as low as possible; they serve only to cover the costs of operating ELIA.
What do I have
to do to renew ELIA membership?
At the beginning of each year, you will receive a proforma invoice. After paying it, you will be sent an official invoice marked paid. Your membership will be valid throughout all year.
If my company
joins part way through the membership year, will we have to
pay the full annual fee?
For all new members joining ELIA in the fourth quarter of the year (after October 1), their full membership fee will be valid for the entire following year. Those joining in the first three quarters will be requested to pay the full amount for that year.